Saturday, June 17, 2017

HB John Wesley 17 Jun 1703

John Wesley (1703-1791)
Chance has no share in the government of the world. The Lord reigns, and disposes all things, strongly and sweetly, for the good of them that love him. -- John Wesley , letter

Tell me how it is that in this room there are three candles and but one light; and I will explain to you the mode of the divine existence.    John Wesley

Oh, beware! Do not seek to be something! Let me be nothing, and Christ be all in all.-  John Wesley

God...frequently...makes young men and women wiser than the aged, and gives to many, in a very short time, a closer and deeper communion with himself than others attain in a long course of years.-John Wesley ,letter: , 27 Dec 1774

Unless God has raised you up for this very thing [ablishing slave trade trading] you will be worn out by the opposition of men and devils. But if God be with you who can be against you. JOHN WESLEY, letter to William Wilberforce 10 days before Wesley's death

Passion and prejudice govern the world; only under the name of reason.--John Wesley, Letter to Joseph Benson, October 5, 1770

Do all the good you can, By all the means you can, In all the ways you can, In all the places you can, At all the times you can, To all the people you can, As long as ever you can. - John Wesley

It is most desirable, to have neither poverty nor riches; but still you cannot be without temptation, unless you would go out of the world.- John Wesley, letter: DECEMBER 1, 177

I rode over the mountains to Huddersfield. A wilder people I never saw in England. The men, women and children filled the streets and seemed just ready to devour us. John Wesley June 1757

The longer I live, the larger allowances I make for human infirmities. --John Wesley (1703-1791) Letter, 21 Feb 1756 to Samuel Furley.

I desired as many as could to join together in fasting and prayer, that God would restore the spirit of love and of a sound mind to the poor deluded rebels in America. -- John Wesley, Journal, Aug 1, 1777

I am a creature of a day. I am a spirit come from God, and returning to God. I want to know one thing: the way to heaven. God himself has condescended to teach me the way. He has written it down in a book. Oh, give me that book! At any price give me the book of God. Let me be a man of one book. JOHN WESLEY

Beware that you are not swallowed up in books! An ounce of love is worth a pound of knowledge.
John Wesley (1703-1791) In "The Speaker's Electronic Reference Collection," AApex Software, 1994.

I look on all the world as my parish; thus far I mean, that, in whatever part of it I am, I judge it meet, right, and my bounden duty, to declare unto all that are willing to hear, the glad tidings of salvation. -- John Wesley (1703-1791)

Lord, I am no longer my own, but Yours. Put me to what You will, rank me with whom You will. Let be employed by You or laid aside for You, exalted for You or brought low by You. Let me have all things, let me have nothing, I freely and heartily yield all things to Your pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, You are mine and I am Yours. So be it. Amen.J--John Wesley

Immediately it stuck into my mind, "Leave off preaching. How can you preach to others, who have not faith yourself?" I asked Boehler, whether he thought I should leave it off or not. He answered "By no means." I asked, "But what can I preach?" He said, "Preach faith till you have it; and then, because you have it, you will preach faith." -- John Wesley, Journal, 4 Mar 1738

Many Gentlemen have done my brother and me (though without naming us) the honour to reprint many of our hymns. Now they are perfectly welcome to do so, provided they print them just as they are. But I desire that they would not attempt to mend them - for they really are not able. None of them is able to mend either the sense or the verse. Therefore I must beg the one of these two favours: either to let them stand just as they are, to take them for better for worse; or to add the true reading in the margin, or at the bottom of the page; that we may no longer be accountable either for the nonsense or doggerel of other men.- John Wesley, Preface to a Collection of Hymns for use of the People called Methodists, London, Oct 20, 1779

When I was young I was sure of everything; in a few years, having been mistaken a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before; at present, I am hardly sure of anything but what God has revealed to me. John Wesley

Wherever riches have increased, the essence of religion has decreased in the same proportion. Therefore I do not see how it is possible in the nature of things for any revival of religion to continue long. For religion must necessarily produce both industry and frugality, and these cannot but produce riches. But as riches increase, so will pride, anger, and love of the world in all its branches. John Wesley

No one can truly say that Jesus is Lord, unless Thou take the veil away, and breathe the living word. Then only then, we feel our interest in His blood.-JOHN WESLEY, hymn, Spirit of Faith, Come Down.

You have now such faith as is necessary for your living unto God. As yet you are not called to die. When you are, you shall have faith for this also.-John Wesley letter: 17 April 1776
When the witness and the fruit of the Spirit meet together, there can be no stronger proof that we are of God.-- John Wesley , letter: 31 March 1787

Suffer all, and conquer all.... John Wesley (1703-1791)

When you set yourself on fire, people love to come and see you burn~ John Wesley

Every one, though born of God in an instant, yet undoubtedly grows by slow degrees.'- John Wesley letter: 27 June 1760

Let me do all the good I can, to all the people I can, as often as I can, for I shall not pass this way again. - John Wesley in David Jackman, The Communicators Commentary, Ruth1.

No comments: